Work is well underway on ambitious Oxhey Activity Park project
Watford Borough Council are bringing exciting new sport, play and leisure facilities to award winning Oxhey Park. The new facilities will be open in summer 2020 - here’s the progress so far.
Located in Oxhey Park on land north of the River Colne, the new activity park will bring together a range of activities for young people including skate boarding, BMX cycling and scooting, catering for all skill levels from beginners’ right up to serious enthusiasts. Visitors will also be able to enjoy adventurous toddler and junior play areas (disability friendly), pleasant picnic spots, outdoor table tennis tables as well as a riverside café, complete with a green roof. The following work has already been achieved so far:
• The site’s power and water utilities have been connected.
• Landscaping works have started in the areas around the café with footpath formation and tree plantation.
• Work is progressing to complete the café external cladding, glazing and doors. The building is weathertight and the sedum plantation has been completed on the roof.
• The jump box and junior cycling and skating features are complete and work is progressing on the construction of the skating Flow Park Skate, Plaza and Pumpscape structures.
• The perimeter bike track has been marked out in readiness for the creation of the off-road circuit.
Elected Mayor of Watford Peter Taylor said: “I am delighted that Oxhey Activity Park is well underway. We have worked closely with the local community on the plans, to make sure they include activities that will appeal to local families. Our town has a reputation for outstanding leisure facilities and it’s great to be delivering on one of my key manifesto commitments.
“Having recently visited the site with the construction team, it good to see what an outstanding scheme this is for Watford. There’s something for everyone to enjoy, whether it be a new café, play facilities and facilities for skateboarders and cyclists. We have some of the best parks and green spaces in the country in our town and I am determined to continue to invest in them.”
Following a short pause for Covid-19 safety measures to be set up, Borras Construction Ltd are now making good progress and are planning to complete the Park in early September. To find out more, visit oxheyactivitypark.co.uk